A Goodbye and an Encounter! The Destiny of Flowing Stars
Usagi watches Mamoru's plane leave
|Name (Kana):||別れと出会い! 運命の星々の流転|
|Name (Romaji):||Wakare to Deai! Unmei no Hoshiboshi no Ruten|
|Name (Translated):||A Goodbye and an Encounter! The Destiny of Flowing Stars|
|Name (Dub):||Farewells and Encounters: the Transitioning Stars of Destiny|
|Animation Director:||Yoshihiro Kitano|
|Air Date:||May 11, 1996|
|Previous Episode:||Moon Love Power! The End of the Nightmare|
|Next Episode:||A School Storm! Transfer Students are Idols|
A door opens at the end of a dark hallway and three men in suits walk toward it. One pauses, wondering if they can really find "her". The other two insist that they will - it's the reason they came, and they will succeed no matter what. As they continue onward, the door opens and floods the hallway with light and the sounds of a cheering crowd.
At the Fruits Parlor Crown, the girls discuss the new super popular idol group, the Three Lights. Luna has no idea who they are. The girls talk about the three members and what they like best about them, and even Ami joins in the conversation. Usagi appears completely distracted, and when they try to bring her into the conversation she tells them that Mamoru is going to study abroad, in America. Artemis tries to suggest that it's a good thing, but gets smacked by Minako for not considering Usagi's feelings. Usagi remembers when Mamoru told her the news: he said he would be gone for about a year, and would probably be very busy for a lot of that time. Usagi tries to be happy for him and insists that they won't be apart forever. The girls are worried about her, but she insists that it's his dream and she has to see him off with a smile on her face.
As Usagi leaves, her friends watch her with concern. Chibiusa has also gone back to the future, and they're worried about Usagi being lonely.
Back at the Tsukino residence, Usagi sits on Chibiusa's bed up in the attic, looking sadly at a photograph of her, Mamoru, and Chibiusa. Luna tries to cheer her up, but it doesn't work very well. Meanwhile, in Mamoru's apartment, as he packs he finds the same photograph and pauses to look at it. Usagi begins to cry, saying that she wanted to say no, she didn't want Mamoru to go, because she's not very strong. Luna points out that compared to when they first met, Usagi is much more mature now, and she's sure Usagi can see him off with a smile.
At the airport, Usagi arrives to tell Mamoru goodbye, and tells him that she'll be waiting for him. He says that he might be too busy to contact her for a while, but she insists that's fine; her words, however, are betrayed by the tears that start to fall. Dismayed, she tries to wipe them away, saying that she'd meant to see him off with a smile. Mamoru gives her a ring, telling her that he loves her. The two embrace, then kiss each other goodbye. Usagi then takes hold of his arm with a smile and they head toward the plane. Just then a commotion starts over by the escalators as the Three Lights arrive. Mamoru and Usagi walk past it, oblivious, but as Seiya passes Usagi he seems to sense something from her.
Usagi watches the plane leave, wishing Mamoru well.
At that same time, the Three Lights are gathered together and Yaten says that the light of a star just went out. Taiki wishes that "she" could have been there. Seiya thinks that "she" might be close, and observes that they don't have much time left.
At the Fruits Parlor Crown, Usagi's friends notice her new ring, and wonder if it means "something". Usagi is, as usual, oblivious, and Rei gets angry at her for being a girl and still not knowing what it means. Just then Minako arrives with important news: there's something going on at the park nearby.
The girls arrive at the park to find a massive crowd watching as the Three Lights film an episode of the tv drama "Z-files of a Detective Boy Holmes". Usagi doesn't know what that is, but to everyone's surprise Ami chimes in with the information. The girls get closer, trying to see over the crowd, and notice that the idol Alice Itsuki is there as well. Minako, Rei, Ami, and Makoto squeeze their way through the crowd to get closer, but Usagi can't find a way in.
Up in a tree near the crowd, Chuuko Nezu watches, noting that Alice has all the charm of a star.
Usagi wanders off in search of a better vantage point but the crowd is far too large. She then spots the staff-only area with a large "no admittance" sign, and decides to sneak in so she can see Alice Itsuki. As she approaches, though, Seiya, partially hidden by the bench on which he's lying, tells her that she's not allowed back there. Usagi stammers excuses, but when Seiya sees her up close he recognizes her from the airport. Usagi doesn't recognize him at all, though, and Seiya is dismayed that he's not as popular as he'd thought. Usagi thinks he's trying to hit on her and says that she already has a boyfriend; Seiya just laughs at her and heads into the staff area. When Usagi yells that nobody is allowed back there he says he is, and calls her "odango". This only infuriates Usagi, as only Mamoru can call her that.
Out on the set the director calls for a break, and Alice goes back to her trailer to check her makeup.
In the staff-only area, Usagi sneaks around the staff-only area as Luna tries to get her to leave, worried that she'll get caught. In the meantime, Alice emerges from her trailer and is met by Chuuko Nezu, who reveals herself to be Sailor Iron Mouse and takes Alice's Star Seed. Usagi sees this and transforms into Eternal Sailor Moon.
Alice's Star Seed turns black and Iron Mouse is disappointed. Just then, Sailor Moon appears, and Iron Mouse observes that she is a Sailor Senshi as well. Iron Mouse introduces herself and suggests that Sailor Moon play with the Phage, just as Alice turns into Sailor Buri. Iron Mouse informs Sailor Moon that everyone who loses their Star Seed becomes a Phage, then disappears. Sailor Buri attacks with her spiked microphone, but Sailor Moon only dodges her attacks, refusing to fight her because she's really an innocent person. The Sailor Starlights appear, introducing themselves as Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Maker, and Sailor Star Healer, and Sailor Moon is once again shocked to see more Senshi.
Star Fighter attacks with Star Serious Laser, stunning the Phage, but when the Starlights go to finish her off Sailor Moon jumps in the way and tells them they can't kill her. Star Maker tells her that once someone has become a Phage they can't be saved, though Fighter adds that "that person" could, but demands Sailor Moon move. Sailor Moon again refuses, the crescent moon on her forehead begins to glow, summoning the Eternal Tiare, and she uses Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss on Sailor Buri, turning her back to normal. When she looks around again, though, the Starlights have disappeared.
The Starlights, now perched up in one of the surrounding trees, exclaim over Sailor Moon's power. Star Fighter observes that it's starting to get interesting.
Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Minako leave the park after filming is done and find Usagi sitting on a bench, thinking about how the enemy is a Sailor Senshi and the ones who helped her were also Sailor Senshi. When the girls ask what's going on, she can't find the words to explain, much to the frustration of her friends.
- This episode marked the first appearance of the Three Lights/Sailor Starlights, Sailor Iron Mouse, and Phage, and the first use of Star Serious Laser. It also featured the first onscreen appearance of Sailor Galaxia, whose disembodied voice had already been heard in two previous episodes.
- The Moon Eternal, Make Up transformation sequence was reanimated and given new background music starting with this episode, producing a slightly longer version which would be used throughout the rest of the season.
- Sailor Moon's attack Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss, now named, was first used in this episode with a redrawn attack sequence, different from the previous sequence with the Eternal Tiare which was shown in the Queen Nehellenia arc.
- In this episode, the ending theme song switched from the softer version of "Kaze mo Sora mo Kitto..." played in the Queen Nehellenia arc to the upbeat one played for the rest of the season. The opening credits were also changed so that the Sailor Starlights and Sailor Galaxia were no longer in shadow.
- This was the last time Mamoru would be seen alive in this season until he was revived in episode 200.
- One of the fans briefly seen outside of the Three Lights concert near the beginning of the episode had a hairstyle and bow similar to that of Naru Osaka.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Kou Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter - Shiho Niiyama
- Kou Taiki/Sailor Star Maker - Narumi Tsunoda
- Kou Yaten/Sailor Star Healer - Chika Sakamoto
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Tohru Furuya
- Sailor Galaxia - Mitsuko Horie
- Chuuko Nezu/Sailor Iron Mouse - Eriko Hara
- Alice Itsuki/Sailor Buri - Miki Itou
- Airport Tannoy - Emi Uwagawa
- Director - Shougo Sakamoto
- AD - Jin Domon
| Previous episode:
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
| Next episode:|