Shingo's Innocent Love! A Sorrowful French Doll
Usagi comforts a depressed Shingo
|Name (Kanji/kana):||進悟の純情! 哀しみのフランス人形|
|Name (Romaji):||Shingo no Junjou! Kanashimi no Furansu Ningyou|
|Name (Translated):||Shingo's Innocent Love! A Sorrowful French Doll|
|Name (Viz Dub):||Shingo's Love: The Grieving Doll|
|Animation Director:||Ikuko Ito|
|Air Date:||July 11, 1992|
|Previous Episode:||Is Usagi a Model? The Focus of the Youma Camera|
|Next Episode:||Usagi is Thrilled! Tuxedo Mask's Love Letter|
|First English Dub Episode|
|Air Date:||September 29, 1995|
|Previous Episode:||Shutter Bugged|
|Next Episode:||Who is that Masked Man?|
Once again, Nephrite must admit to Queen Beryl that he has made no progress in finding the Sailor Senshi. When Zoisite appears and offers his assistance, Queen Beryl approves the idea, but Nephrite refuses, insisting he will do the job alone. Beryl is furious at his disobedience, while Zoisite is pleased at the prospect of becoming Beryl's new favourite.
Shingo's friend Mika wins a competition with a French doll she made. She wants Shingo to have the doll, but he gets embarrassed when his friends start teasing them and accidentally breaks it, which upsets Mika. Mika's friends tell Usagi, who promises to make her brother apologise.
The devastated Mika starts work on another doll, but doesn't tell her mother what happened to the prizewinning one. Meanwhile, Nephrite selects her as a target.
Shingo tries and fails to write a letter of apology to Mika. Usagi confronts him and demands that he apologize in person, or else she'll tell their parents. But as Shingo approaches Mika's house, Nephrite arrives in his Masato Sanjoin disguise, and Shingo decides to come back later. Nephrite implants a Youma into the doll Mika is working on, and commissions her to make more dolls. Mika's mother invites him to an exhibition of their work. Mika is soon working faster than ever before, and becomes angry when her mother asks her to stop.
Unable to get through to her daughter, Mika's mother asks Shingo for help. But Shingo also fails, mistakenly believing she is still angry with him. Usagi advises Shingo to get Mika a present, but tells Luna that she is concerned by Mika's behaviour. Usagi, Ami, and Luna decide to go to the doll exhibition to investigate.
Meanwhile, Shingo remembers that Mika likes Sailor Moon, and decides to make a Sailor Moon model. Ami and Luna sneak into the exhibition, and find Rei and Mamoru already there. When Nephrite passes by Mamoru and Rei a bit later, he and Mamoru look at each other for a moment as though they think the other looks familiar, but they can't understand why. Nephrite quickly says he mistook Mamoru for someone else and leaves.
Usagi takes Shingo to see Mika, who has just finished her last doll. As they enter the room, Mika's energy peaks, and a Youma, Jumeau, is released from the infected doll. Shingo tries to protect Mika, but the Youma attacks him and destroys the model of Sailor Moon. While the others are distracted, Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon. The Youma chases her, and Sailor Mercury and Sailor Mars join the fight, but the Youma has an ability to rebuild itself, making it virtually invulnerable. Tuxedo Mask intervenes to release Sailor Moon from the monster's grip, and she is then able to take advantage of a vulnerability spotted by Mercury. She destroys the monster, and stops to check on Shingo and Mika. Mika has recovered, and thanks Shingo for coming to her rescue. He is disappointed that his present was destroyed, but Mika later returns the favour, making a (much better) model of Sailor Moon for Shingo.
- This episode once again featured Emi Shinohara, who would later play Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter, as a Youma.
- In the first English dub, Mika said, "Sailor Venus is cool but I like Sailor Moon," but the background image showed Sailor V, who was not referred to as "Sailor Venus" until later in the series.
- Also in the first English dub, the voice actresses for two of Mika's friends switched characters in the two sequences in which they were shown.
- In the French dub, this episode was renamed "Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son," which was a reference to a popular song by France Gall.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Tohru Furuya
- Naru Osaka - Shino Kakinuma
- Haruna Sakurada - Chiyoko Kawashima
- Ikuko Tsukino - Sanae Takagi
- Kenji Tsukino - Yuuji Machi
- Shingo Tsukino - Chiyoko Kawashima
- Mika Kayama - Ayako Shiraishi
- Queen Beryl - Keiko Han
- Nephrite - Katsuji Mori
- Zoisite - Keiichi Nanba
- Jumeau - Emi Shinohara
- Mika's Mother - Miyoko Aoba
- Boy - Hiroyuki Tanaka
- Girl - Mayumi Seto
| Previous episode:
| Next episode:|