Premonition of World's End? Mysterious New Senshi
Usagi's brooch is broken, reversing her transformation
|Name (Kanji/kana):||地球崩壊の予感? 謎の新戦士出現|
|Name (Romaji):||Chikyuu Houkai no Yokan? Nazo no Shin Senshi Shutsugen|
|Name (Translated):||Premonition of World's End? Mysterious New Senshi|
|Name (Viz Dub):||Premonition of the Apocalypse: The Mysterious New Guardians Appear|
|Animation Director:||Masahiro Ando|
|Air Date:||March 19, 1994|
|Previous Episode:||Usagi and the Girls' Resolve! Prelude to a New Battle|
|Next Episode:||The Rod of Love is Born! Usagi's New Transformation|
|English Dub Episode|
|Name:||Star Struck, Bad Luck|
|Air Date:||June 12, 2000|
|Previous Episode:||Follow the Leader|
|Next Episode:||Crystal Clear Again|
Rei is having a strange dream. Untransformed, she watches in horror as the world around her, seen in red light, is slowly consumed by a black wave. The four other Inner Senshi stand like red statues in front of her, motionless. A large and elaborate crystal appears behind her, blinding her with its shine. The city is being destroyed, building by building, as the crystal splits into three smaller crystals, then all of them disappear. Eventually, the black wave consumes everything, shattering her statue-like friends into pieces.
Rei wakes up to see Usagi sleeping, which aggravates her. The five girls are all at Rei's house, studying. Usagi wakes up and tells the others her silly dream, after which they lecture her about treating studies seriously. While the others are talking, Rei recalls her dream.
At his laboratory, which is filled with various chemistry equipment, a mad scientist is heating a test tube with some purple liquid inside. A small round object inside it starts growing, and eventually the tube breaks, with a stripped egg emerging from it and flying upwards. The professor's assistant, a red-haired woman whom he identifies as Kaolinite, appears, and he explains their goal: to find the Holy Grail, which will allow them to control the world. For the Grail to appear, they need to find three talismans hidden inside humans' pure hearts. The egg flies out of the lab and Kaolinite disappears, leaving her lab coat behind.
Back at school, Usagi gets upset after failing a test. She walks down the street, looking straight down, thinking what her parents will say when they find out, and wondering why she is always attracted to Rei at such moments. Naturally, Rei is walking towards her in the opposite direction, also looking down, and they collide.
At a fountain, Rei and Usagi put their foreheads under a stream of water to ease the pain. As always, Rei pokes fun at Usagi for her bad marks, but admits that she has other good qualities. Usagi notes that this admission is unusual, and suddenly Rei's dream flashes in her head again. She changes the subject to their plans for the future, and eventually Usagi is convinced that while Rei sometimes says mean things, she has a kind heart.
At Hikawa Shrine, Kaolinite (floating in the air) watches as the egg implants itself into a tree, and says that the person with a pure heart will appear soon. Shortly thereafter, Rei appears.
Usagi is sitting on a street stairway, sighing at her test results and wondering what Mamoru would say about it — unaware that Mamoru is standing right behind her. They talk about it, and Mamoru walks away, leaving Usagi in tears.
Back at Hikawa Shrine, Rei, now in her miko robes, tries to figure out the meaning of the dream, but is unable to feel anything. She goes outside, picks a fortune from the booth and ties it onto the tree that the egg was embedded into, which is covered in fortune papers. The tree suddenly starts mutating and transforms into a Daimon: Mikuji. Rei runs away and tries to transform, but the Daimon is flying too fast; she knocks Rei's Star Power Stick from her hand, sticks her to a wall, and starts exposing her chest to a black beam. The beam begins to remove Rei's Pure Heart Crystal, and the procedure is painful. Leaving Mikuji to finish the job, Kaolinite disappears.
Meanwhile, Usagi is walking down the street with Luna. She wants to go on a date with Mamoru, but Luna, exposing her claws, reminds her that she promised to study with the other girls. Suddenly, they hear Rei's screams, and Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon.
Mikuji proves to be too powerful and throws Sailor Moon away with her "hair". The three other girls appear, but get trapped before they manage to transform. Sailor Moon is struggling to stand up when a red rose hits Mikuji, and Tuxedo Mask reveals his presence. Sailor Moon stands up and uses Moon Princess Halation, but to everyone's shock, it has no effect.
After knocking the Cutie Moon Rod away, Mikuji pins Sailor Moon against a tree and bites the Crystal Star, sending Sailor Moon into further shock as the Silver Crystal's shine goes out, causing her to detransform. Mikuji then shoots rope at Tuxedo Mask, immobilizing him; Luna and Artemis jump at her, but she easily throws them off.
No longer confronted, Mikuji finally extracts Rei's Heart Crystal from her chest. Usagi, thinking Rei is dead, remembers their last conversation with sorrow.
However, as the Daimon grabs the crystal, she is suddenly struck by two energy balls: one yellow, one blue. The tree reappears, and the Daimon Egg falls out and breaks. Everyone is freed; Rei collapses on the ground, and the girls run to her.
Atop a nearby tree, two mysterious silhouettes, who are clearly Sailor Senshi as well, examine the crystal, find out that it is not a talisman, and return it. The crystal flies back into Rei's body, and she awakens, to the girls' surprise and joy. Meanwhile, Luna and Artemis notice the two mysterious figures jumping off the tree and running away.
Back at the lab, Kaolinite tells the professor that the crystal was not a talisman, and furthermore they met some unexpected resistance.
The girls and Tuxedo Mask, standing in a row, feel that this is the beginning of a new battle.
- This episode included the first appearances of Professor Souichi Tomoe and Kaolinite, even though excerpts of this episode were already screened in the preceeding episode as a preview. It also inclued first appearances of Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, though they would not be named until two episodes later.
- This episode included the first mentions of Pure Heart Crystals, Talismans, the Holy Grail (Sacred Cup), and the Messiah, and the last appearances of Moon Crystal Power, Make Up and Moon Princess Halation.
- This episode included the second time Usagi's brooch was broken by a monster-of-the-day, preventing her from transforming. The first time was in episode 51.
- The visible section of Usagi's failed English test read (in English): "One day, Mr. Ikuhara went to Roppongi to do nanpa. He was (1) tired after a big work. So he applied for comfort to any tender girl. But he was caught (2) _____ new-half." To "do nanpa" means "to flirt with/pick up girls." Kunihiko Ikuhara was the season director for Sailor Moon S.
- This episode included one of the rare instances in which a Monster-of-the-day was destroyed by a Senshi other than Sailor Moon. In this case it was Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune who finished off Mikuji with World Shaking and Deep Submerge when Moon Princess Halation could not, suggesting that the two Outer Senshi were stronger than Sailor Moon before she gained the Cosmic Heart Compact and Spiral Heart Moon Rod.
- This was the first episode of the English dub which was produced by Cloverway. Accordingly, it was the first time Linda Ballantyne played Serena, Liza Balkan played Amy, and Emilie Barlow played Mina in the dub.
- In the English dub, Cloverway zoomed in on Mikusi's chest to hide her cleavage.
- This was the first episode in which Mario Arenas played Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen and Artemis in the Spanish dub, replacing Esteban Massana. This was also the first episode for voice actresses María Dolores Díaz and Chelo Vivares, who played Haruka and Michiru, respectively.
- This episode was omitted from the Korean dub.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Mysterious Senshi - Megumi Ogata
- Mysterious Senshi - Masako Katsuki
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Tohru Furuya
- Professor Souichi Tomoe - Akira Kamiya
- Kaolinite - Noriko Uemura
- Mikuji - Michiko Abe
| Previous episode:
Sailor Moon S
| Next episode:|