Cursed Buses! Fire Senshi Mars Appears
Rei discovers the transformation pen
|Name (Kanji/kana):||呪われたバス! 炎の戦士マーズ登場|
|Name (Romaji):||Norowareta Basu! Honoo no Senshi Maazu Toujou|
|Name (Translated):||Cursed Buses! Fire Senshi Mars Appears|
|Name (Viz Dub):||The Cursed Bus: Enter Mars, the Guardian of Fire|
|Animation Director:||Kiyoshi Matsumoto|
|Air Date:||May 16, 1992|
|Previous Episode:||Usagi's Misfortune! Watch Out for the Rushing Clocks|
|Next Episode:||Usagi vs Rei? A Nightmare in Dreamland|
|First English Dub Episode|
|Name:||An Uncharmed Life|
|Air Date:||September 19, 1995|
|Previous Episode:||Time Bomb|
|Next Episode:||Nightmare in Dreamland|
While investigating the case of a disappearing bus, Usagi meets Rei Hino, a shrine maiden with unusual powers.
With the Silver Crystal still not found, Queen Beryl is becoming angry with Jadeite. She gives him a chance to redeem himself.
While Ami waits for the bus to cram school, Naru tells Usagi about a bus that apparently disappeared near the Hikawa Shrine. Usagi and Naru recall that the shrine is famous for its amulets that ward off evil, and decide to visit it.
Rei Hino, the resident shrine maiden at Hikawa Shrine, is troubled by an evil presence. The source of this aura is none other than Jadeite, working undercover at the shrine. When Usagi arrives, Rei's sixth sense goes haywire, and she mistakes Usagi for an evil spirit, knocking her over.
Rei apologises and explains that her predictions have been inaccurate recently. As Luna wonders if Rei could be the princess, an angry woman bursts in and accuses Rei of being responsible for the dissappearances. Luna suspects there might be a connection, and calls Ami to the bus stop. She, Usagi and Ami watch a large group of girls, all with amulets from the shrine, boarding the 6pm bus. They go to get on as well, but Usagi freaks out at the last minute, and the bus leaves without them. The bus then disappears into another dimension. The driver is a Youma, and she has been sent to collect energy from the girls who bought love amulets from the shrine.
Usagi goes back to the shrine the next day, and tells Rei that another bus has disappeared. Rei gets angry and repeats that she has nothing to do with it. Usagi leaves, but Luna leaves a pen behind. Rei becomes suspicious of Jadeite, and consults the flames for a prediction.
Usagi and Luna wait at the bus stop again. Ami is late, and the 6pm bus arrives before she does. Usagi is scared, but this time disguises herself as a bus attendant to boost her confidence. She and Luna get on, and Ami arrives just in time to see the bus disappear. Rei's fire reveals Jadeite as the source of evil, and she confronts him. He sends her into the same dimension as the buses, where she is captured by the Youma.
Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon, and Luna sees the symbol of Mars appear on Rei's forehead. With the help of Rei's crows, Sailor Moon traps the Youma, and Luna instructs Rei to use the transformation pen she left for her. She becomes Sailor Mars and finishes off the Youma, but they are now trapped inside the alternate dimension. Fortunately, Tuxedo Mask is also there, and guided by Ami, he drives the buses back through the portal. As he disappears again, Sailor Moon wonders if Sailor Mars could be a rival for his affections...
- This episode marked the first appearances of Rei Hino/Sailor Mars, her grandfather, Phobos, and Deimos. This episode also included the first appearances of the ofuda and Rei's transformation pen, and the first uses of Akuryo Taisan, Mars Power, Make Up, and Fire Soul.
- This episode was the first to feature a Senshi (Sailor Mars) other than Sailor Moon defeating a Youma, something which happened quite rarely throughout the series.
- This episode was the only one to show a unique use of Moon Tiara Action, in which Sailor Moon's tiara trapped an enemy rather than destroying them.
- When Ami used her transformation pen to open up the porthole, it was night. However, when all of the buses came out of the porthole, it was daytime. How much time exactly passed was unknown, so this may have been a mistake.
- In the DiC English dub, the bus Kigaan drove was flipped so that the bus was on the right side of the road, like in North America, instead of on the left side of the road, like in Japan
- In the Korean dub this episode and the next were combined together in order to avoid showing scenes of the Hikawa Shrine.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Tohru Furuya
- Naru Osaka - Shino Kakinuma
- Rei's Grandfather - Tomomichi Nishimura
- Queen Beryl - Keiko Han
- Jadeite - Masaya Onosaka
- Kuri - Masami Kamiyama
- Female Student - Mayumi Seto
- High School Girl - Misa Fukai
- Kigaan - Reiko Yamada
| Previous episode:
| Next episode:|