|The Sailor Starlights in the anime|
The Sailor Starlights were three Sailor Senshi, Sailor Star Healer, Sailor Star Fighter, and Sailor Star Maker, who came from outside the Solar System. After their home planet Kinmoku was attacked and eventually destroyed by Sailor Galaxia, they traveled to Earth in order to escape their own deaths. Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, and Sailor Pluto considered them unwelcome intruders.
In the anime, the Starlights were originally female, but they disguised themselves in male bodies while in civilian form on Earth. They did this to help them look for Princess Kakyuu, as they felt a boy band would be less conspicuous singing about their Princess, and would also get more fans and thus, more publicity.
In the manga and musicals, the Starlights only cross-dressed as men in civilian form and did not physically become men. The reason for this cross-dressing, however, was the same as why their anime counterparts took on male bodies.
The Starlights' sailor fuku were navy blue in the manga, a slightly lighter shade of blue in the musicals, and black in the anime.
- Naoko Takeuchi did not like the fact that the Starlights physically changed to male bodies when they disguised themselves in the anime, because this broke her ultimate rule that only girls can become Sailor Senshi.
- The Starlights' eye colors matched the secondary colors of their sailor fuku: blue for Sailor Star Fighter, green for Sailor Star Healer, and violet/purple for Sailor Star Maker.
- The Starlights were originally designed to have short hair without the long tails, but Bandai asked Naoko Takeuchi to add more hair for the doll designs.
- The Sailor Starlights' mythological backgrounds are unclear; some fans consider them to be based on the Hindu trimurti (Shiva, Brahma, and Vishnu), but other fans dispute this theory.
- In the Italian dub of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, the Starlights' sex switching was not present. Instead the they were said to be the twin sisters of the Three Lights. This explanation was added to the Italian dub after Vera Slepoj, a psychologist, claimed that Sailor Moon made young boys become homosexual.
- In the Korean dub, the Sailor Starlights' sailor fuku were edited so that they covered the entire midriff.
- Public Interview with Takeuchi Naoko - Charles McCarter
- Artbook V Translation Notes - Mangastyle.net
- Starlight Pops - The Hindu Trimurti - Kotetsu
- Dies Gaudii - The Sailor Starlights and the Hindu Trimurti - Ian Andreas Miller
- The Sailor Senshi Page: Sailormoon in Italy - Comment by Sailoreagle