Straight to Your Dream! Idol Minako is Born
Yaten confronts Minako backstage at the competition
|Name (Kana):||夢一直線! アイドル美奈子誕生!?|
|Name (Romaji):||Yume Icchokusen! Aidoru Minako Tanjou!?|
|Name (Translated):||Straight to Your Dream! Idol Minako is Born|
|Animation Director:||Shigetaka Kiyoyama|
|Air Date:||November 16, 1996|
|Previous Episode:||When a Light Butterfly Dances in the Air! Foresight of the New Wave|
|Next Episode:||The Silver Crystal is Stolen! Princess Kakyuu Appears|
Minako receives a letter informing her that she made it to the next round of an idol competition being held by Ginga TV. She is happy for a moment, but then grows serious again, folds up the letter, and puts it in her drawer.
At the Fruits Parlor Crown, the girls discuss the Three Lights and how they're so popular they don't have time to attend school. Minako declares that school and studying is also important, leaving all her friends staring at her in shock. She leaves shortly afterwards, saying that she has to do her homework. After she is gone the others wonder why she's acting so strangely, and Artemis tells them about how she gave up on the idol competition because of her Senshi obligations. The other girls, however, think that Minako should follow her dream.
At the school, Ami, Makoto, and Usagi find Minako up on the roof. They tell her she should definitely follow her dream, but Minako says she can't do it at a time like this. Usagi replies that she should because it's a time like this, because dreams, love, hope, and friendship are the things they're fighting to protect.
At the idol audition, Minako nervously surveys the crowd, and Artemis encourages her to do her best on behalf of her friends who sent her there. The judges enter and the competitors crowd around Takuya Moroboshi, hardly noticing when Kou Yaten enters. Yaten sees Minako and drags her out of the way, angrily demanding to know why she is there. He thinks she is wasting her time and not taking her duties as a Senshi seriously.
As the competition begins, Nyanko takes Akane's place as a judge, having left her rival tied up in the back of the building. She compliments Moroboshi on how much he shines, making him look uncomfortable.
Minako sings Route Venus; she is nervous at first, but gradually improves as she gains confidence. After her performance, Artemis tells Minako she needs to do better. In the next part of the competition, the girls have to all dance, and Minako remembers Usagi's words and is determined to do the best she can.
In the next part of the competition, Yaten demands to know why Minako entered the contest, and asks her if she realizes what it means to be an idol, and if she has anything else she needs to do first. Minako replies that she wants to give people dreams. Moroboshi leans over and tells Yaten to give up, because she obviously has a strong will.
As everyone leaves the competition, Yaten confronts Minako again. Minako tells him that her dreams are everyone's dreams, and she wants to protect those dreams. Yaten wonders aloud if they have lost their ability to dream of anything besides their duty, and if that's why "she" doesn't appear. Minako tells him that they haven't lost anything, and the Three Lights shine brighter than anyone.
Nyanko arrives at Moroboshi's dressing room and reveals herself to be Sailor Tin Nyanko. She attacks the idol for his Star Seed; Usagi, nearby, hears his scream and leaves Chibi Chibi with Luna before running off to investigate. The Star Seed turns out to be a blank, so when Sailor Tin Nyanko is confronted by Eternal Sailor Moon and Sailor Venus, she is annoyed and about to leave. Sailor Lead Crow arrives then, though, and is angry with her rival. The two Animamates leave, still bickering, leaving the Phage Sailor Musician to deal with the Senshi. Yaten sees what is going on and transforms into Sailor Star Healer, then uses Star Sensitive Inferno on the Phage. Seeing her opportunity, Sailor Venus uses Venus Love and Beauty Shock, stunning the Phage long enough for Sailor Moon to use Silver Moon Crystal Power Kiss to turn it back to normal.
Afterwards, Minako and Usagi talk to Yaten while Chibi Chibi chases the two cats around the room. As the little girl runs past, Yaten senses the aura of the Princess.
Later, Minako receives a letter telling her that she passed the final round. She smiles and puts the letter back in the envelope, then slides it into her desk drawer. She says that her ability has been proven and she can become an idol at any time - but right now it's more important for her to be with her friends.
- This was the first episode to feature the second, more elaborate version of Healer Star Power, Make Up.
- When Minako was speaking to the other girls in the Fruits Parlor Crown, the red stripes on the collar of her uniform were briefly missing.
- This episode included the last appearance of a Monster-of-the-day in the Sailor Moon anime, the last use of Venus Love and Beauty Shock, and the last time Sailor Moon gave her usual "in the name of the Moon" introductory speech.
- This was the last episode that Yuji Endo directed.
- This was the second time Minako Aino entered an idol audition in the anime; the first time was in episode 114.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Kou Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter - Shiho Niiyama
- Kou Taiki/Sailor Star Maker - Narumi Tsunoda
- Kou Yaten/Sailor Star Healer - Chika Sakamoto
- Chibi Chibi/Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Akane Karasuma/Sailor Lead Crow - Chiharu Suzuka
- Nyanko Suzu/Sailor Tin Nyanko - Ikue Ohtani
- Takuya Moroboshi/Sailor Musician - Sho Hayami
- Host - Nobuhiko Kazama
- Girls - Emi Uwagawa, Mikiko Enomoto
| Previous episode:|
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
| Next episode:|