Sailor Moon S movie
|Name (romaji):||Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S|
|Name (translated):||Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S|
|Animation Director:||Kazuyuki Hashimoto, Tadao Kubota|
|Release Date:||December 4, 1994|
|Previous Movie:||Sailor Moon R movie|
|Next Movie:||Sailor Moon SuperS movie|
|North American Dub Movie|
|Name:||Sailor Moon S Movie: Hearts in Ice|
|Release Date:||May 23, 2000|
The Sailor Moon S movie was the second Sailor Moon movie, first released in Japan in 1994. The movie was dubbed into English by Pioneer, Cloverway, and Optimum Productions, which released it in two versions. The first version aired on television and was released on VHS, and included DiC's music and censorship to the Sailor Senshi transformations. The second version was released on DVD and was uncut with most of the original music, though it still used the opening song from the dub with the English-language track.
Viz Media produced a new dub of the film that was given a theatrical run in mid-2018, and the DVD and Blu-ray were released on October 2, 2018.
An unusual snow storm hits the town and the Sailor Senshi discover that the evil Princess Snow Kaguya wants to freeze the entire Earth. The Inner Senshi, with the help of the Outer Senshi, must defeat her. Meanwhile, Luna falls in love with a human astronomer named Kakeru whose girlfriend is an astronaut about to go into space. Kakeru becomes ill and Luna wishes she could be a human to help him.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Chibiusa/Sailor Chibi Moon - Kae Araki
- Setsuna Meiou/Sailor Pluto - Chiyoko Kawashima
- Michiru Kaiou/Sailor Neptune - Masako Katsuki
- Haruka Tenou/Sailor Uranus - Megumi Ogata
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask - Tohru Furuya
- Kakeru Ozora - Masami Kikuchi
- Himeko Nayotake - Megumi Hayashibara
- Princess Snow Kaguya - Eiko Masuyama
- Snow Dancers - Mariko Onodera, Yuko Nagashima
- Announcer - Tomohisa Asou
- Announcer - Yasunori Masutani
- Press - Yoshiyuki Kouno
- This movie was based on "Kaguya-hime no Koibito," and was the only one of the three Sailor Moon movies based on the manga.
- This movie featured a tailor-made astronaut's helmet for Usagi, which had two small spheres protruding from the helmet to accommodate her odango.
- This movie included remixed versions of the BGM for the Inner Senshi's "Star Power" transformation sequences. This music was also used during the SuperS season for every transformation except Mars Star Power, Make Up.
- In some of the shots during the fight with Princess Snow Kaguya, Sailor Pluto's sailor fuku mistakenly had shoulder pads attached to it.
- In this movie Luna's human form was seen for the first and only time in the anime. Silver Crystal Power was also used for the first and only time in this movie.
- Due to the presence of the Outer Senshi, Chibiusa, and the Holy Grail, as well as the winter break being mentioned, this movie likely took place sometime around episode 122.
- When the film first aired in Italy in the 90s, and in 2011 on Italia 1, it was split in three parts. Those were called "Luna trova un amico" (Luna makes a friend), "Pericolo glaciale" (Glacial danger), and "La Principessa Neve di Luna" (The Snow Princess of the Moon). When it was distributed on home media and aired on Hiro in 2010, however, it was shown without any cuts.
- Luna's transformation into her human form was partially cut from the first English dub.