The Culture Fest is for Me? Queen Rei Sings With Passion
The Aliens dressed as... aliens
|Name (Kanji/kana):||文化祭は私のため!? レイ女王熱唱|
|Name (Romaji):||Bunkasai wa Watashi no Tame!? Rei Joou Nesshou|
|Name (Translated):||The Culture Fest is for Me? Queen Rei Sings With Passion|
|Name (Viz Dub):||The School Festival Is for Me?! Queen Rei’s Song|
|Animation Director:||Masahiro Ando|
|Air Date:||May 8, 1993|
|Previous Episode:||Mamoru and Usagi's Babysitting Mayhem|
|Next Episode:||Is Seijuurou the Moonlight Knight? Mako-chan Falls in Love|
|First English Dub Episode|
|Name:||Raye's Day in the Spotlight|
|Air Date:||December 1, 1995|
|Previous Episode:||Much Ado About Babysitting|
|Next Episode:||Food Fetish|
At the Hikawa Shrine, Makoto and Minako are selling charms while dressed as miko, supervised by Rei's grandfather. Makoto praises the charms sold by the shrine to a crowd of school girls, claiming that they can cure a broken heart. After they have sold quite a few charms, Usagi and Ami come by and ask about Rei. Her grandfather tells them that Rei has been working hard lately on her new assignment as leader of the Culture Festival.
Inside of T·A Academy for Girls, Rei is busy setting up a stage for the festival in an auditorium, ordering her fellow students around while being annoyed by their relaxed attitudes. Usagi, Ami, Artemis, and Luna come to see Rei rehearse, bringing with them a bento Makoto made. Rei begins singing on stage, but stops when she is unsatisfied with the spotlights. She orders the two students operating the spotlight to take a break. Usagi and Ami talk to Rei about the song she was singing and are amazed to hear that she wrote the song herself; Rei also comments that she is running this festival partly to promote herself as a singer. In the meantime, Seijuurou and Natsumi sit in a tree outside the school, planning to steal energy from the participants of the festival.
The evening before the festival, the Sailor Senshi meet at the Hikawa Shrine. Since they all plan to attend the festival together with Rei's grandfather, they are leaving Yuuichirou to take care of the shrine in the meantime. Minako compliments Rei on writing the songs for the festival, and when Ami asks if it was difficult Rei brags about how easy it was (though in truth it wasn't, as she privately recalls all the difficulties she had).
At the festival, Rei's grandfather happily chats with the school girls in the audience, while Usagi, Makoto, and Minako have fun trying out different attractions of the festival, and Ami and Rei wander the festival together. The Ginga siblings arrive and are about to set their plans in motion, but are stopped by three students. The students quickly measure the two siblings, then announce they are members of a fashion design club, and Natsumi and Seijuurou are the perfect models for their costumes. The costumes are based on the theme of aliens, which makes the pair think their identities have been discovered before they are dragged off by the club members.
Before Rei's concert begins the Ginga siblings are on stage in the "alien" costumes that the fashion club designed, and though at first they feel it is stupid they are delighted to see the audience is full of energy. They decide that all of the girls in the auditorium will be a good target for their energy-gathering efforts.
Rei goes on stage and introduces herself and the crowd cheers wildly, while Usagi sits in the audience and becomes nervous on her friend's behalf. As Rei begins to sing Ail and An appear on top of the auditorium, and Ail plays his flute to summon the Cardian Seiren. Seiren interrupts Rei's performance by flying into the auditorium and spraying gold flakes over the crowd, which causes them to faint. The Senshi in the audience, however, hide under their chairs to avoid the Cardian's attack. Ail and An are satisfied and teleport back to their apartment.
Seiren attacks Rei on stage, and the other Senshi quickly transform. Seiren wraps her long hair around Rei, attempting to strangle her. Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Mercury combine Supreme Thunder and Sabão Spray into one attack, which cuts off Seiren's hair. She responds by wrapping her hair around the throats of Sailor Mercury and Sailor Jupiter. Sailor Moon and Sailor Venus try to revive Rei, but are also grabbed by Seiren's hair. Seiren begins draining energy from the Senshi, who can't break the stranglehold.
Rei wakes up and transforms into Sailor Mars, angry at the Cardian for interrupting and stealing energy from her audience. She uses Fire Soul to cut off Seiren's hair and free the other Senshi, who collapse from having their energy drained. Seiren douses the flames of Sailor Mars' attack with water then attacks in turn, leaving Sailor Mars alarmed that her attack did not work.
Her charge is stopped by a rose thrown by the Moonlight Knight, who appears above the stage. He gives a speech, saying he wants to hear the beautiful voice of Sailor Mars again, then jumps down, attacking Seiren with his sword. She dodges his attack but crashes into the music stand, ripping Rei's music sheets. Sailor Mars becomes angry, remembering all the hard work she put into that music, and in her fury she uses an ofuda as she attacks again with Fire Soul Bird. Seiren tries to repel the attack by throwing large amounts of water against the fire bird, but fails and is struck by the attack. Artemis observes that Sailor Mars has awakened her true powers.
The drained energy returns to the other Senshi who wake up, and Sailor Moon uses Moon Princess Halation to destroy Seiren. The Moonlight Knight congratulates the Senshi before he disappears.
The audience wakes up again and the interrupted concert resumes. Rei announces her last song, "Eien no Melody," and the audience listens while she sings. Later that evening, the students gather round a fire outside the school. Usagi tells Rei she is impressed with her hard work, but when Rei suggests she could teach that to Usagi, the two start bickering.
- This episode marked the first appearance of Fire Soul Bird.
- The first song Rei sang in this episode was "Hottokenai Yo." In the first English dub it was replaced with "Call My Name." In the Italian dub it was replaced with a dubbed version of "Eien no Melody." In the Portuguese dub it was replaced with "Luna Luna." In the Hebrew, German, Viz English and second Korean dub, it was replaced with a translated version. In the Indonesian dub, the song was replaced with the original version of "Eien no Melody."
- The second song that Rei sang was "Eien no Melody." In the first English dub it was replaced with "Oh Starry Night." In the Hebrew, German, Italian, and Croatian dubs, and the second English and Korean dubs, it was replaced with a translated version. In the Portuguese dub, it was replaced with a new song, that used the same melody as "Luna Luna" but had new lyrics. In the Albanian dub, it was replaced with "Oh Starry Night," but the song played in a loop after the scene cut to the girls watching the fire from outside.
- This episode was omitted from the Swedish dub because the channel on which it was airing did not want to show singing in a foreign language in children's programming.
- Moonlight Knight told Sailor Mars that he wanted to listen to her "beautiful singing voice" one more time, thus revealing that he knew her identity, but none of the other characters seemed to notice.
- In the first English dub, when Sailor Moon transformed, she said "Moon Prism Power" instead of "Moon Crystal Power".
- All scenes of Rei singing were removed from the first Korean dub. In the same dub, Usagi, Makoto, and Minako trying on traditional Japanese costumes was censored by adding a blur effect on their costumes.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon - Kotono Mitsuishi
- Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Aya Hisakawa
- Rei Hino/Sailor Mars - Michie Tomizawa
- Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter - Emi Shinohara
- Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Rica Fukami
- Luna - Keiko Han
- Artemis - Yasuhiro Takato
- Mamoru Chiba/Moonlight Knight - Tohru Furuya
- Rei's Grandfather - Tomomichi Nishimura
- Ail/Seijuurou Ginga - Hikaru Midorikawa
- An/Natsumi Ginga - Yumi Touma
- Seiren - Megumi Ogata
- Junko - Sonomi Okumura
- Female Students Chieko Nanba, Masami Kamiyama, Naoko Nakamura
| Previous episode:
Sailor Moon R
| Next episode:|