|Alignment:||Moon Kingdom, Crystal Tokyo|
|Lives:||Azabu-Juuban, Minato-ku, Tokyo|
|Family:||Mother, Father, Ami Jr (future daughter; "Parallel Sailor Moon" only)|
|Associates:||Usagi Tsukino and friends|
|Aliases:||Ami Mizuno, Dark Mercury (PGSM only), Princess Mercury (manga only)|
|First Anime Appearance:||Is the Genius Girl a Youma? Brainwashing School of Terror|
|First Manga Appearance:||Act 2 Ami - Sailor Mercury|
|First PGSM Appearance:||Act 2 - Ami Became a Friend|
|English Name:||Sailor Mercury|
|Actors:||Aya Hisakawa (anime); Chisaki Hama (PGSM); Karen Bernstein (dub 1-82, S and SuperS movies), Liza Balkan (dub 83+)|
Sailor Mercury was one of Princess Serenity's guardians, and was the first Sailor Senshi to join Sailor Moon in her fight. Her current incarnation was Ami Mizuno, and her powers were derived from water. Her sharp mind and analytical abilities made her the strategist of the Inner Senshi.
Depending on the continuity, she referred to herself as the "Soldier of Water and Intellect" (水と知性の戦士) or the "Soldier of Knowledge" (知の戦士), under the guardianship of the "Planet of Water" (the literal meaning of the Japanese name for Mercury).
- 1 Anime
- 2 Manga
- 3 Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
- 4 Musicals
- 5 Video Games
- 6 Mythology
- 7 Trivia
|Sailor Mercury in the anime|
In the anime, the Sailor Mercury who lived during the time of the Silver Millennium was responsible for protecting Princess Serenity along with Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Venus. All four guardians were killed by Queen Metalia during the Dark Kingdom's surprise attack on the Moon. Queen Serenity then sent the fallen Senshi into the future to be reincarnated.
Sailor Mercury was reincarnated on Earth as Ami Mizuno. Although her Senshi powers were not supposed to have been reactivated, this became necessary after the Dark Kingdom were found to have been reincarnated as well. Sailor Mercury was the third of the Sailor Team to awaken, and the second to be awakened by Luna.
Eventually, the Dark Kingdom's base was located at D Point. By now, the Sailor Team had recovered their memories of their past lives, and were determined to prevent a repeat of Metalia's devastating attack. However, they were confronted outside the base by the DD Girls, five extremely powerful Youma who proceeded to decimate the Sailor Team. Sailor Mercury was killed by three of the DD Girls, although she succeeded in depriving their leader of her ability to create illusions.
Only Sailor Moon survived the battle, but the spirits of Sailor Mercury and the others joined her as she battled Super Beryl. As Metalia was finally destroyed, Sailor Moon wished for herself and her friends to be returned to their old lives. The Silver Crystal acted upon this wish, resurrecting the Sailor Team and Mamoru, and returning them to Azabu-Juuban with no memories of their lives as Sailor Senshi. Only Luna and Artemis retained memories of what had transpired.
The peace did not last long, however, and Luna and Artemis were soon forced to reawaken the Sailor Team due to the activities of Ail and An. Sailor Mercury and the others had their memories restored and regained their powers.
When Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon were trapped by Fisheye during the battle with the Dead Moon, Pegasus granted extra power to the Sailor Team, allowing them to achieve their "Super" forms. Sailor Mercury's Star Power Stick became a Crystal Change Rod, which allowed her to transform from Ami Mizuno directly into Super Sailor Mercury.
Sailor Mercury, along with the rest of the Sailor Team, had her Star Seed removed during the face off with Sailor Galaxia, causing her to lose her physical form and effectively rendering her dead. Fortunately, her Star Seed was released after Chaos was expelled from Galaxia, and Sailor Mercury was brought back to life.
- Mercury Star Power, Make Up - Used her Star Power Stick to transform into Sailor Mercury.
- Mercury Crystal Power, Make Up - Used her Crystal Change Rod to transform into Super Sailor Mercury.
- Sabão Spray - Sailor Mercury's first technique produced a thick fog that obscured the area, but in which the Senshi could see clearly. It was a support ability, incapable of directly harming enemies.
- Sabão Spray Freezing - A more powerful form of Sabão Spray that could actually harm, or at least immobilize, enemies. First appeared in the R season.
- Double Sabão Spray Freezing - An enhanced form of Sabão Spray Freezing, used on one occasion against Giwaku.
- Shine Aqua Illusion - Mercury's first purely offensive ability that first appeared in the R season. She fired a water blast that could destroy or freeze its target.
- Mercury Aqua Rhapsody - Mercury's most powerful attack; she materialized and played a watery lyre, firing a water blast at the enemy. She received this ability in the SuperS season.
- Mercury Aqua Mirage - An attack which appeared only in the manga and in the "Ami's First Love" special; it engulfed the target in a globe of water which then burst, leaving the target destroyed.
Besides her communicator and transformation pens, Sailor Mercury had a hand-held computer which she could use as a scanner and data analyzer, as well as for accessing other computer systems. When she pressed her right ear stud, a blue visor materialized over her eyes, allowing her to scan objects or enemies for detailed information, such as weak points.
- Sailor Mercury (Classic, R, S) had a fuku similar to Sailor Moon's. Her dominant color was blue (tiara gem, earrings, choker, collar, center of front bow, elbow fittings of gloves, skirt, and boots) and her accent color was light blue (bows). Her earrings were small blue studs (which she could press to turn on her special visor), her collar had two white stripes, and her boots were the same knee-high style as Sailor Moon's, but in a blue color and without a symbol attached to them.
- After the "Super" upgrade (SuperS, Stars), her earrings were three blue studs, her choker had a yellow star attached to it, her collar had one white stripe, the center of her front bow was a heart, the bottom of the shoulder pads was translucent, and the back waist bow was enlarged and lengthened.
Though her home was on Mercury, Sailor Mercury was present at the ceremony where she and the other Guardian Senshi swore to protect Princess Serenity and faced Queen Nehellenia for the first time, and then seemed to take up primary residence on the Moon in order to protect the Moon Princess. In the her past life, Sailor Mercury was often seen carrying books and ushering the princess to study. She died during the war between the Earth and the Moon and was reborn as Ami in the modern day until she was reawakened by Luna and fought with the Sailor Team.
Sailor Mercury died with the other Guardian Senshi during the battle against Queen Metalia, but was later revived with the other Senshi by Sailor Moon. When the Black Moon Clan appeared she was captured by Berthier and held captive for a time. Sailor Mercury's powers were eventually upgraded by Neo-Queen Serenity and she reached her "Super" form along with the other Sailor Senshi near the end of the Infinity arc.
In the Dream arc, she was attacked by Fisheye and rescued by Guardian Mercury, who gave her the Mercury Crystal which allowed her to transform directly into her Super form and call upon the Mercury Harp. She later appeared in her princess form, along with the other Senshi, in order to give Sailor Moon the power of their castles and allow her to transform into Eternal Sailor Moon. She underwent a last upgrade of her powers and costume in the Stars arc, during which her Sailor Crystal was stolen by Sailor Aluminum Seiren.
Sailor Galaxia later threw the stolen Sailor Crystals of the Solar System Senshi into the Galaxy Cauldron, where they melted, but Sailor Moon retrieved all of her fallen friends from the Cauldron and they were allowed to return to their former lives. In the future, it was shown that Sailor Mercury was loyal to Neo-Queen Serenity and King Endymion, and she protected Crystal Tokyo along with all her comrades.
- Mercury Power, Make Up - Used her first transformation pen to transform into Sailor Mercury.
- Mercury Star Power, Make Up - Used her Star Power Stick to transform into Sailor Mercury.
- Mercury Planet Power, Make Up - Used the planet powers granted to her by Neo-Queen Serenity to transform into Sailor Mercury.
- Mercury Crystal Power, Make Up - Used her Mercury Crystal to transform into Super Sailor Mercury.
Attacks and Powers
- Mercury Aqua Mist - An attack given in the reprints of the manga to create a fog, similar to Sabão Spray in the anime.
- Hyperspatial Sphere Generate - An ability used only once in the manga to protect the Game Center Crown from destruction.
- Shine Aqua Illusion - An attack that would blast away enemies with a stream of water.
- Shine Snow Illusion - Created a snow storm to blast enemies.
- Mercury Aqua Mirage - An attack which only appeared in the manga and the Ami's First Love special episode in the anime.
- Mercury Aqua Rhapsody - Sailor Mercury played the Mercury Harp to send blasts of water at her enemies. She gained this power after transforming with the Mercury Crystal.
- Sailor Mercury's first costume in the manga was mostly identical to the anime version, the only differences being that her collar had three stripes, she had no shoulder pads, and her earrings were always three blue studs.
- Her brooch changed from a circle to a heart after Sailor Moon first transformed into Super Sailor Moon.
- After the "Super" upgrade, her costume was almost completely identical to the anime version, but the star on her choker had a blue gemstone in the center.
- After the last upgrade in the Stars arc, her choker was V-shaped and the center of her front bow was a blue five-pointed star. Her shoulder pads were large light blue puffs with two patches of blue fabric attached to the bottom. Her gloves became longer, reaching to her upper arms. In artbook illustrations, she had blue V-shaped wristbands with golden five-pointed stars on them, but they were not present in the manga. Her belt consisted of two blue ribbons, a blue one and a light blue one, with two long, thin back ribbons, clipped together by a golden five-pointed star. Her back bow was light blue. Her skirt became two-layered, the top layer being blue and the bottom light blue. Her boots were knee-length and white, and each had a blue V-shaped border with a five-pointed star at the top. Her tiara gem was a blue five-pointed star and her earrings were blue, dangling five-pointed stars.
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
|Sailor Mercury in PGSM|
In the live-action series, Sailor Mercury had the ability to create a sword from standing water to protect herself, an ability which never appeared in the anime or manga. After she awakened her Senshi power in Act 29, she gained the ability to generate a stream of bubbles, and she used this power twice in the series. She was also able to turn her Sailor Star Tambourine into a different sword in order to fight the Youma created by Princess Sailor Moon in the Final Act. This same sword also appeared in the Special Act, only that time it was to protect Sailor Moon.
- Mercury Power, Make Up - Used to transform into Sailor Mercury.
- Mercury Aqua Mist - Sailor Mercury's first attack, which sent a spray of water at her target.
- Shine Aqua Illusion - An offensive water attack similar to the same attack in the anime and manga.
- Mercury Aqua Blizzard - An attack which sent a torrent of snow at her target, encasing it in ice.
- Mercury Aqua Cyclone - An attack which only appeared once in the live-action series; it sent a powerful stream of water at the target.
- Mercury Aqua Storm - Sailor Mercury's special attack using her Sailor Star Tambourine.
- Unnamed attack - Sailor Mercury used an attack which was not named on screen, in which she used her Sailor Star Tambourine to send blue star-shaped energy toward her target.
- Sailor Mercury's costume in PGSM was identical to the manga version, except that all dark blue portions of her costume (choker, collar, elbow fittings, skirt, and boots) were changed to sky blue.
In Act 21 of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Mercury was captured by Kunzite and turned to the forces of evil using Queen Metalia's power, by preying on her feelings of loneliness among the Senshi. Despite being "made" by Kunzite, Dark Mercury (also called "Darkury" (ダーキュリー) by the production staff and fans) never accepted him nor any other Dark Kingdom member as her superior.
| Chieco Kawabe as|
Super Sailor Mercury
Sailor Mercury's sailor fuku in the musicals had two major versions.
- In the first version, Sailor Mercury's bows, glove fittings, choker, and sleeves were blue, while her skirt and collar were navy blue. Later versions of the costume had a blue top skirt layer, collar, and boots, while her bows, glove fittings, and sleeves were light blue. The brooch attached to the front bow was a golden circle with blue gems. She also had a circle in the center of her choker and dangling circle earrings. All of the trim on her costume, as well as the stripes on her collar, was gold. This version was never shown after Sailor Moon S - Henshin - Super Senshi e no Michi (Kaiteiban).
- The second version was essentially faithful to her "Super" version in the manga and anime. At first her front bow, back bow, and glove fittings were light blue, and her collar, boots, and choker were cerulean. Her skirt had two layers, the top one cerulean and the bottom one light blue. Later versions of the costume changed her glove fittings to cerulean instead of light blue. Her choker ornament was a golden star with an cerulean circle and the Mercury symbol in the center. The brooch on her front bow was a heart-shaped blue gem ringed in gold. Her earrings were three large blue studs.
- Shine Aqua Cutter - Used in the Sailor Moon arcade game.
- Mirage Wave - Used in the Sailor Moon arcade game.
- Break Step - Used in Sailor Moon for the Mega Drive.
- Reverse Break Step - Used in Sailor Moon R for the Super Famicom, Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen, and Sailor Moon SuperS: Zenin Sanka!! Shuyaku Soudatsusen.
- Water Bullet - Used in Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen and Sailor Moon SuperS: Zenin Sanka!! Shuyaku Soudatsusen.
Sailor Mercury bore the name of the innermost planet of the Solar System, which in turn is named after the Roman messenger god Mercury. The planet's Japanese name is "Suisei" (水星; Water Star). In Western astrology, Mercury is the "ruler" over Ami's birth sign, Virgo. Also, Sailor Mercury used a lyre for her Aqua Rhapsody attack; Greek mythology attributes the invention of this instrument to the god Hermes, the Greek equivalent of Mercury.
- In Japan, Sailor Mercury was the most popular Sailor Senshi, although she sometimes dropped to second place in favor of Sailor Chibi Moon among younger viewers. This was mainly due to the fact that Ami's docile and studious personality made her a role model for Japanese children. On the other hand, her lack of an offensive ability during the whole first season had earned her some scorn for being weak.
- An early design of her sailor fuku in the Materials Collection book had long sleeves and pink ribbons in addition to the primary blue and white.
- Sailor Mercury received the most weapons in the live-action series: the Water Sword, the Mercury Sword, and while she was Dark Mercury, the Dark Sword.